It all started on a cloudy day, for the first time since I was a dad, I had time to code for fun! I made my checklist:
✅ work is over 🅰️— Julien Renaux (@julienrenaux) November 5, 2019
✅ baby is out of kindergarten 🐣
✅ baby is clean 🛀
✅ baby is sleeping 🛌
✅ dinner is over 🥪
NOW I CAN START PLAYING WITH @Ionicframework React ...
... THANKS GOD 🙏
I was ready to have fun!
After few hours I got really sick of React’s hooks (even though I use React since 2016), so I decided to play with Web Components and StencilJS instead.
Creating a new product
I wanted to create something small and fun that can be on production in few hours (yeah I am tired of side projects that never go to production…).
The product should:
- Work offline
- Score 100 on lighthouse
- Be built and deployed on Github Actions
- Be hosted on Firebase
- Tweet once a day if it is black friday or not as an image (that makes it more challenging than just text.). @isitblackfriday was created.
To explain the journey, I created three different posts that would help you follow step by step how I created isitblackfridayyet.
- Creating a Progressive Web App with StencilJS and Workbox
- Creating Cron based images with Firebase functions and Puppeteer
- Building and Deploying StencilJS apps with Github actions and Firebase hosting
- Enabling Dark mode
And to finish, isitblackfridayyet.app code is of course open source